[PC-BSD Translations] Translation on Wiki

Tigersharke cdox at pcbsd.org
Fri Apr 25 11:11:54 PDT 2014

(My reply is below quoted)

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 10:14 AM, 蒙易 <efreeking at gmail.com> wrote:

> I had ever translated the PC-BSD handbook v9.1 into Chinese with the
> OpenOffice file long time ago.
> Althought the v9.2 and v10 come out, I was still can not find out where to
> get the openoffice file.
> Now I find out the documentation translation can be done with the wiki,
> but I don't know how to get start.
> I had tried to translate the main page into Chinese, but when I was saving
> the translate the third entry, it just appear a notice "saving"(保存中) and
> nothing done.

>> Hello..
>>
>> I am wondering how everyone's experience has been with creating
>> translated versions of the PC-BSD handbook through the use of the
>> mechanisms on the wiki.pcbsd.org site.  I have created the templates
>> that ease translation by their action of "auto-translation" which really
>> means that page names that are used in links will be pulled from the
>> translation framework to be displayed on localized pages- this works when
>> at least the page name of the target page has been translated.
>>
>> I am certain that most translation should appear properly for
>> left-to-right readers, languages such as German, French, or Ukrainian.
>>  These three languages have a presence on the wiki already but I look
>> forward to other languages which may cause revision to my templates if
>> right-to-left does not work well with my templates.
>>
>> The table of contents data has been centralized.  Each handbook page
>> needs *{{UseTOC{{putVers}}|Nav}}* in order to provide the navigation
>> header.  This will use the translated page name except if the page name
>> needs adjustment such as:
>>
>> {{UseTOC{{putVers}}|Nav|title=PC-BSD{{r}} Releases}}
>>

>> which in German becomes:
>>
>> {{UseTOC{{putVers}}|Nav|title=PC-BSD{{r}}-Veröffentlichungen}}
>>
>> The table of contents data is contained within versioned templates.
>>  template:UseTOC/9.2 and template:UseTOC/10.0  Within either template the
>> editor or other admin will modify the sequence of the pages or the original
>> page titles. The display of the table of contents itself, is done by adding
>> *{{UseTOC{{putVers}}|TOC}}* onto the PC-BSD®_Users_Handbook/9.2
>> or PC-BSD®_Users_Handbook/10.0 pages beneath the title "Table of Contents".
>>
>> Translators and editors can read the style guidelines<http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Style_guidelines>or refer to the template
>> quickref<http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/PC-BSD%C2%AE_Wiki:Template_QuickRef>,
>> or direct questions to me through whatever medium is easiest.  Many things
>> can be translated but I will not know your difficulties if you remain
>> silent.
>>
>> --Tigersharke (talk<http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/User_talk:Tigersharke>
>> ) 14:28, 29 December 2013 (PST)

Glad to see effort for Chinese translation.  If you checked the current
translation for German which is one of the most active languages on the
site, you will see how much they have completed on the Main page.  Most of
the Main page is links which are supposed to automatically display the
translated page title for the page that is linked.  Other pages, such as
the PC-BSD handbook whether v10.0 or other versions on the wiki, will allow
for much more content to be translated.  I hope that the documentation
related to doing translation on the wiki is complete, but if not,
suggestions are welcomed and can be added.  I wish for all translators to
have as easiest a job as possible, with no more work than is absolutely
necessary.

Wishing you and all translators success!