[PC-BSD Translations] Translation on Wiki

Curt Dox tigersharke at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 14:29:52 PST 2013

Hello..

I am wondering how everyone's experience has been with creating translated
versions of the PC-BSD handbook through the use of the mechanisms on the
wiki.pcbsd.org site.  I have created the templates that ease translation by
their action of "auto-translation" which really means that page names that
are used in links will be pulled from the translation framework to be
displayed on localized pages- this works when at least the page name of the
target page has been translated.

I am certain that most translation should appear properly for left-to-right
readers, languages such as German, French, or Ukrainian.  These three
languages have a presence on the wiki already but I look forward to other
languages which may cause revision to my templates if right-to-left does
not work well with my templates.

The table of contents data has been centralized.  Each handbook page needs
*{{UseTOC{{putVers}}|Nav}}* in order to provide the navigation header.
 This will use the translated page name except if the page name needs
adjustment such as:

{{UseTOC{{putVers}}|Nav|title=PC-BSD{{r}} Releases}}

which in German becomes:

{{UseTOC{{putVers}}|Nav|title=PC-BSD{{r}}-Veröffentlichungen}}

The table of contents data is contained within versioned templates.
 template:UseTOC/9.2 and template:UseTOC/10.0  Within either template the
editor or other admin will modify the sequence of the pages or the original
page titles. The display of the table of contents itself, is done by adding
*{{UseTOC{{putVers}}|TOC}}* onto the PC-BSD®_Users_Handbook/9.2
or PC-BSD®_Users_Handbook/10.0 pages beneath the title "Table of Contents".

Translators and editors can read the style
guidelines<http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Style_guidelines>or refer
to the template
quickref<http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/PC-BSD%C2%AE_Wiki:Template_QuickRef>,
or direct questions to me through whatever medium is easiest.  Many things
can be translated but I will not know your difficulties if you remain
silent.

--Tigersharke (talk
<http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/User_talk:Tigersharke>) 14:28,
29 December 2013 (PST)