[PC-BSD Translations] future Handbook translations

Dru Lavigne dru.lavigne at att.net
Tue Apr 16 06:33:58 PDT 2013

Hello everyone,

The PC-BSD wiki has been configured to use the MediaWiki Translate extension, meaning that translation work can now occur on the wiki for the next version of the Handbook.

NOTE: this new functionality does not affect existing versions of the Handbook. This means that if you are currently translating the 9.1 Handbook, you should continue to translate the source .odt file.

In order to translate on the wiki, you will need to create a wiki account. I have started some documentation to get you started here:

http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Become_a_Translator#Documentation_Translation

Since this is new software, we can add practical info to that page as translators become more familiar with using it.

Pages marked for translation will have a "translate this page" link towards the top of the page. We are working on an icon to make this link easier to find. If a translation link does not appear on a wiki page, it means that it is not currently marked to be included in the Handbook.

Any questions/comments on how to use the editor, what to translate, and how to improve the Handbook translation process should be posted here for the benefit of other translators.

Since translations will be occuring on a moving object (the English version will be changing as new features are added to the upcoming version of PC-BSD), a page may indicate that it has changed since it was last marked for translation. If this happens, review the history of the page to see if the edits affect the translation.

The next step in the Handbook publishing process will be to test the new PDF generator. We are aiming to be able to provide translated PDFs of the Handbook with each localized version of a PC-BSD release. If the PDF generator proves reliable, we can also create point-in-time PDFs for the rolling releases. I'll post more information on this after I've had a chance to spend some time with the PDF generator.

Cheers,

Dru