[PC-BSD Translations] System Installer ready for translation

Yamashiro, Jun yamajun at ofug.net
Sat Dec 5 01:27:25 PST 2009

Hello lists,

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 16:10:59 -0500
Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.com> wrote:
> I've gone ahead and added the strings for the new System Installer in
> PC-BSD 8.0 to Pootle. This should be the last major set of strings being

Thanks to Kris and all developpers for great jobs.  But, I should
say complaint about GUI design.

I cannot translate for new installer before next Alpha/Beta release.
Because, I cannot understand keyboard accelerators in English
edition.  I should run real software for check keyboard
accelerator before translate.

I want to say GUI application developper of PC-BSD:
Please add '&' to ALL Buttons/Radio buttons/Checkboxes/Tabs in GUI.

Good example:	"&Cancel" -> "Cancel"
                              ~
Keyboard accelerator for "&Cancel" is always "Alt+C".

Bad example:	"Cancel"  -> "Cancel"
                                  ~
In sometimes, keyboard accelerator for "Cancel" is not "Alt+C".
Maybe, Qt assigned some keys into buttons automatically.

Auto assign cannot work with non-Latin characters.  And keyboard
accelerators differs from English edition is not good.

KDE Standards - Keys
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/style/keys/
| No special classes are needed to define accelerators. An
| accelerator is created automatically by QLabel. The developer
| (or translator) can specify which key to use as accelerator by
| preceding this character in the label text with an ampersand (&).

GNOME Human Interface Guidelines 2.2 - Keyboard Interaction
http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/input-keyboard.html.en
|     * Provide efficient keyboard access to all application
| features. In particular, ensure every control on menus and
| in dialogs are directly focusable using access keys or
| shortcut keys.

regards,

P.S.
To Kris:
KDE 4.3 on FreeBSD is work fine with Japanese user envirionment.
Don't crush as like as KDE 4.2.
(I showed at AsiaBSDCon 2009)

Yamashiro, Jun			Email: yamajun at ofug.net
Okinawa FreeBSD Users Group