[PC-BSD Testing] KDE and Cinnamon crash as VBox guest

Claudio L. claudio at hpgcc3.org
Sun May 25 14:25:01 PDT 2014

On 5/25/2014 3:04 AM, Joe Maloney wrote:
> An update after using pcbsd-build to generate a new ISO from the PCBSD
> master git repo...
>
> Gnome shell now works in virtualbox (software rasterizing)
> Cinnamon still works (software rasterizing)
> KDE desktop effects work (software rasterizing)
>
> glxinfo | grep direct shows software rasterizing and unable to use
> vboxvideo.
>
> Perhaps the software rasterizing only will be fixed with the new
> Virtualbox when it releases.  Otherwise I'm very happy that now I can
> test PCBSD/Gnome3 in a virtual environment.  It's much more responsive
> than it was with Gnome 3.6 which was previously unusable in VirtualBox.

This is great news. Virtualbox does install a symlink to a file
VBoxOGL.so, so it seems there is a library compiled and installed with
OpenGL support, but apparently it's not working for some reason. At
least if the software rasterizer works we can test them at slower speeds.
Thank you for the effort!

Claudio