[PC-BSD Testing] pc-activedirectory broken + workarounds

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Wed Mar 19 06:33:09 PDT 2014

Thanks for the feedback on PCDM, this is the first confirmation I have
seen that it works from somebody actually testing it with a full AD setup.

My guess would be that the samba conf file location simply got changed
between samba3 and samba4, so moving our default configuration over to
samba4.conf is probably a good idea since we don't use samba3 anymore. I
will defer to Kris for the final say on this matter though..... ;-)

On 03/18/2014 23:34, Joe Maloney wrote:
> After further research I touched this file and changed smb.conf to
> smb4.conf.
>
> https://github.com/pcbsd/pcbsd/blob/91d60cdbfb76269232372ffcdd3239c069453899/src-sh/pc-adctl/scripts/pc-samba
>
> I haven't yet edited in pcbsd git repo.  Is this ok to change?  Is
> there a reason for it to be smb.conf?
>
> After the above change I just had to launch only winbindd manually and
> problem solved. Indeed PCDM does not list users when in directory mode
> unless the box is checked to show users.  Pretty cool.
>
> Joe Maloney
>

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 9:27 PM, Joe Maloney <jmaloney at pcbsd.org
> <mailto:jmaloney at pcbsd.org>> wrote:
>
>     After configuring with pc-activedirectory it doesn't work.  After
>     copying smb.conf to smb4.conf the net ads join command then works.
>      At this stage wbinfo -u doesn't work to list users so finally
>     starting smb, nmbd, winbind manually it fully works now I can see
>     all of my ad users in PCDM.
>
>     Joe Maloney

~~ Ken Moore ~~
PC-BSD/iXsystems