[PC-BSD Testing] Upgrading result (clear 10.0 Release - 10.0 Edge)

Yuri Momotiuk yurkis at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 04:04:09 PDT 2014

>  On 03/12/2014 11:05, Yuri Momotiuk wrote:
>
>        Hi
>
>  I've just performed upgrade from clear 10.0 and 10.0.2-PRE
>  Several notes:
>
>  1. Package manager from 10.0 can't detect (and solve) conflicts right so:
>  2. I need to install all from git head src-sh and src-qt4 (all scripts
> and all ui utils to avoid ABI/API prblems)
>  3. After rebuild all of the PC-BSD stuff I can perform successfully
> upgrade rest of the packages
>
>  So, I think we need to perform upgrade to 10.0.1 in two steps:
>  At first we need to publish new pcbsd-utils and pcbsd-utils-qt4 (at least
> in case package management). Only after that we can roll rest of packages.
> But I don't know how we can do that. Maybe new package manager will be
> rolled system update. And only after this update new packages will be
> 'unlocked'.
>

> I've got the updated pcbsd-utils && pcbsd-utils-qt4 uploading right now
> for 10.0, which will include those fixes you mentioned above.
>
> The trick will be trying to figure out how to ensure users have updated to
> those packages first, before doing the 10.0.1 update. I may have to do some
> tricks with updating the /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/pcbsd.conf file to only
> point to the newer EDGE
> package set after the user installs the last pcbsd-utils* updates. I'll be
> looking into this sometime this week before we make any 10.0.1 updates
> live.

As I understand after that version 10.0.1 will be shown (hardcoded in
src-qt4 and src-sh). Or not?

>    Ans few words about common result:
>  * Clean KDE workspace seems like works well (but KDE workspace is still
> 4.11. About tool show 4.11 for KDE)
>
> Yea, this is because the version in ports is 4.11 still. We may have to
> ask KDE maintainer why that is, maybe issue porting newer version to
> FreeBSD?

As I remember I sow something about 4.11 version in kde-freebsd@ . If I'll
found this thread I'll post link here.

>   * Looks like Cinnamon crashes in my case. It shows notification about
> that all time. I see only desktop with shortcuts but no panel :( I made
> experiments inside VirtualBox. Mayby ti is because limited GL support?
>  * Can't launch Gnome3 (I think because GL limitations inside VBox)
>
> Yea, I think lots of those are VBox related issues. I've run them on real
> hardware with good results here anyway.
>
> Sometimes Gnome (in fallback mode) and Cinnamon (even 2.0) runs inside
VBox. Sometimes not :( Anyway, HDD on home machine died few weeks ago, so
some time I can only check inside virtual machine.

>  * PCDM can't remember last user login name
>

> This may be a bug we have to fix then. Have you opened a ticket yet? Ken,
> you aware of any issues with this?
>

> --
> Best regards, Yuri Momotyuk

> Kris Moore