[PC-BSD Testing] Upgrading result (clear 10.0 Release - 10.0 Edge)

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Mar 12 16:46:56 PDT 2014

On 03/12/2014 11:05, Yuri Momotiuk wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've just performed upgrade from clear 10.0 and 10.0.2-PRE
> Several notes:
>
> 1. Package manager from 10.0 can't detect (and solve) conflicts right so:
> 2. I need to install all from git head src-sh and src-qt4 (all scripts
> and all ui utils to avoid ABI/API prblems)
> 3. After rebuild all of the PC-BSD stuff I can perform successfully
> upgrade rest of the packages
>
> So, I think we need to perform upgrade to 10.0.1 in two steps:
> At first we need to publish new pcbsd-utils and pcbsd-utils-qt4 (at
> least in case package management). Only after that we can roll rest of
> packages. But I don't know how we can do that. Maybe new package
> manager will be rolled system update. And only after this update new
> packages will be 'unlocked'.

I've got the updated pcbsd-utils && pcbsd-utils-qt4 uploading right now
for 10.0, which will include those fixes you mentioned above.

The trick will be trying to figure out how to ensure users have updated
to those packages first, before doing the 10.0.1 update. I may have to
do some tricks with updating the /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/pcbsd.conf
file to only point to the newer EDGE
package set after the user installs the last pcbsd-utils* updates. I'll
be looking into this sometime this week before we make any 10.0.1
updates live.

> Ans few words about common result:
> * Clean KDE workspace seems like works well (but KDE workspace is
> still 4.11. About tool show 4.11 for KDE)
Yea, this is because the version in ports is 4.11 still. We may have to
ask KDE maintainer why that is, maybe issue porting newer version to
FreeBSD?

> * Looks like Cinnamon crashes in my case. It shows notification about
> that all time. I see only desktop with shortcuts but no panel :( I
> made experiments inside VirtualBox. Mayby ti is because limited GL
> support?
> * Can't launch Gnome3 (I think because GL limitations inside VBox)
Yea, I think lots of those are VBox related issues. I've run them on
real hardware with good results here anyway.

> * PCDM can't remember last user login name

This may be a bug we have to fix then. Have you opened a ticket yet?
Ken, you aware of any issues with this?