[PC-BSD Testing] pulseaudio working.

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Jun 26 09:55:44 PDT 2014

On 06/26/2014 12:39, Koop Mast wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a general question to the testing@ crowed. How is pulseaudio
> 5.0 treating you? I got a laptop that gives me background noise when I
> try to playback anything via pulse. Oss works fine. And before I poke
> upstream I was wondering if it happens for others too.
>
> If it happens please supply 'cat /dev/sndstat' and 'uname -a'.
> Thanks!
>
> -Koop

So I'm running 5 systems here and pulseaudio seems to do playback
properly on all of them.

Couple quirks I've seen though:

Sometimes it starts audio on the wrong playback channel the first time
running an application. (Such as when playing HTML5 video via Chrome).
Once the setting is changed, it seems to stay fixed, even across reboots
though.

Also, when using openal-soft, such as for minecraft-client, it wants to
use pulseaudio which is fine. However it insists on sending it to the
first playback device, which is wrong in this case. The mixer didn't let
me change it this time to the "correct" playback sink though. I had to
write a /usr/local/etc/openal-soft/alsoft.conf file to set it back to
OSS so that it would use the right device.

Anybody else running into pulse issues?