[PC-BSD Testing] [please test] Control panel

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Jun 3 11:30:44 PDT 2014

On 05/29/2014 05:40, Claudio L. wrote:
> I have a question:
> Doesn't this defeat the purpose of having a production set?
> I would think a production set of packages should be out for I don't
> know, 2 months minimum?
> So the package freeze should be a couple of months prior to the
> production release, to give time for testing. Situations like this,
> where a package is being released for testing a few days before
> production release, in my opinion doesn't achieve the intent of the
> production set. The idea is to allow for things to mature first, then
> release as production.
> I'm not complaining or anything, just making an observation that the
> releases should be spaced properly to achieve the goal, otherwise
> PRODUCTION will go out with some packages that are too "green" and
> will behave more or less like EDGE but with less frequent updates.
>
> On the other hand, the new Control Panel looks good! I tested it for a
> little while and seemed to work well here.
> Claudio

I guess I'm not understanding. We keep a set of production packages
frozen for 3 months at a time. While that production set is out, we are
updating EDGE almost weekly / biweekly, testing and fixing issues as
they occur. When it is time to roll another PRODUCTION set, we freeze
the EDGE set for about 2 weeks, work out any last kinks, then "promote"
it to PRODUCTION, and don't touch it for 3 months again.

Or am I misunderstanding here?