[PC-BSD Testing] Fwd: Upgrade from 9.2 to 10 RELEASE problem

Claudio L. claudio at hpgcc3.org
Fri Jan 31 18:23:03 PST 2014

A couple of observations:

One error I was receiving was "cuse4bsd: Bad executable format" when the
kernel was trying to load this module.
So I did:

pkg remove cuse4bsd-kmod
and
pkg install cuse4bsd-kmod

and that solved the problem, now the module loads correctly.
The big question is: why was that executable corrupted? the pkg manager
verifies the checksum of the packages it downloads, right? So how can a
properly downloaded file result in a corrupted executable after install?

Another thing I observed is that while trying to fix the mouse (which is
still not working, by the way), I did:

pc-updatemanager pkgupdate -f

To my surprise, it complained about checksum mismatch in one package,
which promptly downloaded, and reinstalled some 800 packages (all
packages had been downloaded yesterday during the previous repair).
Why a package that was properly downloaded and installed yesterday now
has a checksum mismatch? It's the same version (package: foo2zjs).

Is it possible that something is wrong with checksum checking? or that
data is being corrupted on the disk (or RAM)? This system uses ECC Ram,
but corruption due to kernel bugs (AMD radeon driver??) is one possible
cause.
I cannot understand that cuse4bsd was corrupted and now this one package
out of 800 had a checksum problem today but not yesterday.

And now the final issue:
Any more ideas to fix the mouse? Reinstalling all packages didn't fix
it. I see an error complaining that /dev/psm0 doesn't exist during boot.

I'll dig for more error messages tomorrow.
To clear any doubts: this machine dual boots with Windows 7 and the
mouse works perfectly fine. As a matter of fact, I have a mouse and a
graphing tablet (both USB) connected, and they both used to work fine
simultaneously on PCBSD, now they're both dead, so it's a drivers issue.

Claudio