[PC-BSD Testing] Fwd: Upgrade from 9.2 to 10 RELEASE problem

Claudio L. claudio at hpgcc3.org
Thu Jan 30 04:44:56 PST 2014

I resolved the issue (well, not 100% but...) with the following
procedure (putting it on record for anyone else that had the same problem):

* The only way to boot into the system was in single user mode, so in
single user mode I had to:

 > mount -u /            (to remount / as a read/write system)
 > zfs mount -a        (to remount everything else)

Then edit /etc/rc.conf.pcbsd, and comment out pcdm_enable.

Reboot, and now I could get to a text login.

 > pkg-static upgrade -fy

This time it showed a million conflicts. One by one I issued:

pkg-static remove -f 'offending-package-name'

Until the upgrade finally went through.
Then I re-enabled pcdm_enable in /etc/rc.conf.pcbsd and I was good to go.

Or not, since everything is fine except that the USB mouse is not
working at all, and I still get an error about cuse4bsd kernel module,
which can't be loaded for some reason.

This all happening on real hardware.
I'll keep researching to see what can be done.

Claudio