[PC-BSD Testing] Fwd: Upgrade from 9.2 to 10 RELEASE problem

Curt Dox tigersharke at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 04:36:04 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 6:20 AM, Claudio L. <claudio at hpgcc3.org> wrote:

> Hello,
> I did the update that came as a package yesterday to my 9.2.
> It seems pkg-static failed after the update, so now I have a 10 world,
> which boots, but when X starts I see the 9.2 background screen briefly then
> the screen goes back to text mode and stays black.
> Ctrl-Alt-F1 works, but the screen never recovers (stays black). I can
> blindly login as root and issue a reboot, so the system hasn't crashed, but
> I think all packages are still from 9.
> What can be done (other than reinstalling 10 from scratch)? I can get into
> single user mode, but pkg-static fails.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.
> Claudio

Surely others may give better or more complete advice, so I defer to those
who actually have PC-BSD 10.0 installed.

However, if I were in your boat, I would attempt to get to single user
mode, mount the needed drives/pools then comment-out the desktop manager
(either gdm or pcdm) line of /etc/rc.conf which would stop the automatic
startup of X.  From there, I would be able to tinker with the system to
solve the problem.  My first thought about solving the issue would be to
look at the 'convert FreeBSD to PC-BSD' page on the wiki, since it would
have the relevant information for hopefully getting your X working again.
 If its some other cause, at least from a not-automatic-X situation, things
can be attempted more easily.

I wish you success!