[PC-BSD Testing] Additional log files for bug reports 909, 910 and 911

kesa at himalia.fi kesa at himalia.fi
Thu Jan 23 08:27:48 PST 2014

Kris Moore kirjoitti 2014-01-23 16:56:
> On 01/23/2014 09:55, Kris Moore wrote:
>> On 01/22/2014 05:37, kesa at himalia.fi wrote:
>>> These bugs seem to be fixed now with PCBSD10.0-RELEASE-p4-01-17-2014.
>>> However, there is a bug in the first boot. I made a new ticket 948,
>>> but I can't access the tracker right now. So I'm posting in this
>>> thread to link the hardware details.
>>>
>>> After first stage install and booting the first time. The X server
>>> goes to self configuration. At the end, it will try to launch the X
>>> server. But this hangs in a black screen. I was able to launch the X
>>> server and complete the second stage install after adding Driver
>>> "intel" to the Device section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf while in a single
>>> user mode.

>> So, does the X configuration work and let you do all the first-run
>> wizard stuff, but the login manager fails to start?
>>
>> This may be a bug in in the Intel driver I've seen, where it can only
>> run once, then it fails to start a second time. It may be that the
>> reboot you did fixed the issue, before even adding "intel" to the
>> xorg.conf section. Did you let it try and reboot first before going to
>> single-user mode?
>>
>> Also, whats your "pciconf -lv" again?
>>

> Nevermind on the pciconf, found your old post about it :)

No it doesn't start the X server at all on the first boot. It hangs to
the first boot graphical part where initial users get created etc. I did
several reboot attempts that did all hang. I.e. I saw the login manager
only once after adding the entry to the xorg.conf and completing the
second stage of the install.

Also, I made several installs as I'm not homing to the system before the
final release and therefore I try to make a lot of testing. For some
reason, I managed to fix it by adding the "intel" only on my first
install. On the following reinstalls, it was always starting X server
configuration which ended to the blank screen and when rebooting in
single user mode, the Driver "intel" was missing again. I'm not sure
what I did differently. If "# mount -o rw tank1/*/* /" (I looked the
tank name with "mount -p") was not enough to make persistent changes to
the files. Or if there was something else I did differently, since I
didn't pay full attention on my first install. My experience is mostly
from Windows so finding my way around is still a little experimental.