[PC-BSD Testing] 10.0 on MacBook Pro

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Jan 23 07:06:11 PST 2014

On 01/23/2014 01:47, Cory Smelosky wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I copied said image to a USB stick to try on my MacBook Pro (Mid-2012
> I think?  13" pre-Retina).  I need to use 10.0 as 9.2 has ACPI and
> SYSCONS issues with i915kms. (NEWCONS, as provided in HEAD should fix
> this to allow me to have an actual console until X is properly
> configured.) Said point seems moot as the installer came up
> graphically without issue at all.  Currently trying an install now to
> an external disk for testing until all issues are worked out to the
> point I can install it to the main boot disk.
>
> However, when I got to the graphical installer...it found a disk.
> However, I didn't want to wipe the internal disk.  I went to
> "Customise" to choose a different disk...but it wasn't showing any.
> Is this a known issue of sorts, should I prod further, or was it
> likely just a bizarre fluke?  It works perfectly fine in the text-mode
> installer.  I can choose a separate disk.  I would however like to be
> given the option to rename the zpool in the text-mode installer,
> though. (Thanks for adding the text-mode installer...unless it was
> there before and I'm just blind...)
Glad it came in helpful for you :)

That is odd that the disk wouldn't show up in the GUI. Did you plug it
in after the GUI started or before? Maybe it just didn't probe it in
time? If you reboot with the disk connected, boot to the GUI and see if
it shows up again. If not, right-click to bring up an "xterm" and get me
the output of this command:

# /usr/local/sbin/pc-sysinstal disk-list