[PC-BSD Testing] gnome 3 :(

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Fri Jan 17 08:04:26 PST 2014

On 01/17/2014 03:13, Joe Maloney wrote:
> I see now the problem is gtk applying the adwaita theme, or any theme.
>  The last time this happened when GTK 3.0 was updated from 3.6.x to
> 3.8.x it broke not only themes but gnome fallback was not functional
> and looked like our Anderson's post here.  Although I don't want to
> encourage him so I won't tell him this.  :)  It's happening to me also
> and gnome fall back is broken again to where I can only access the
> applications menu by using a keyboard shortcut and everything is black.
>
> https://trac.pcbsd.org/attachment/ticket/939/freebsdscreen%20GNOME3.jpg
>
> I was able to fix this last time by updating gnome-themes-standard
> which I committed here.  This is the same problem.  As I can bring up
> the menu manually it's because the gtk3 theme is not getting applied.
>
> http://www.marcuscom.com:8080/viewvc/viewvc.cgi/marcuscom/ports/trunk/x11-themes/gnome-themes-standard/Makefile?revision=18757&view=markup
>
> So I created another port this evening for gnome-themes-standard
> 3.10.0 to bring it up to date with the new GTK which unfortunately did
> not fix.  So I will continue to look into this and bring it up to
> Koop.  If I revert glib20 and then GTK 3.8.4 to match
> gnome-themes-standard 3.8.4 also no go.  I'm thinking it's more to do
> with the removal of the NO_STAGE stuff based on not finding things
> where they should be according to pkg-plist as they are not there
> after the package is installed.
>
> So first i'm building the port for FreeBSD to completely rule out
> PCBSD changes.  I really don't think that's it but have to rule it
> out.  Then I will install fresh again fresh with FreeBSD from packages
> to isolate packaging issues.  I do suspect this could be the issue.
>  After I rule both of those out I will go from there.
>
> It won't hurt my feelings if you guys feel you need to pull the plug
> on this if we can't get this resolved on time for 10 release.  If it's
> slowing down your build times, causing too much of a headache overall.
>  I would understand if it would be better to leave some of this out
> and push it back for 10.1 or ports to hit.
>
> Overall I feel that a lot of progress was made alone just ripping out
> the gnome2 stuff and getting PCDM to work, along with the xsession
> fixes and other things.  Although I hope to be able to track this down
> on time or at least continue to narrow down the cause of the problem.
>  I'm pretty confident I've found it though after seeing it now.  I
> will just need some more time to hammer it out though.
>
> Joe Maloney
>

> On Jan 16, 2014, at 6:53 PM, Joe Maloney <jpm820 at gmail.com
> <mailto:jpm820 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> Still no go on Gnome 3 even with the new ports that were brought in
>> before your ISO build.  I just installed the
>> new PCBSD10.0-RELEASE-p3-01-13-2014-x64-DVD-USB.iso
>> <http://iso.cdn.pcbsd.org/10.0-RELEASE/amd64/PCBSD10.0-RELEASE-p3-01-13-2014-x64-DVD-USB.iso> from
>> scratch.  What's interesting now is that the new user created by
> [...]

Joe, I would say go ahead and keep debugging. The Gnome3 desktop is
"unsupported" and experimental still, so I expect a bit of churn like
this until it makes it into the FreeBSD ports tree properly.

One thing to try though:

When you create a new user, wipe out their /home/<user> dir first, make
sure some of the skel files we are shipping aren't causing the theme
breakage :)