[PC-BSD Testing] pcbsd/src-sh/pc-updatemanager showing old branches

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Jan 16 07:54:38 PST 2014

On 01/16/2014 10:50, Joe Maloney wrote:
> One more problem.  Apparently I can't downgrade to the kernel that
> RELEASE is running through the tool at least as 10/STABLE has a newer
> kernel.  It seems that freebsd-update does not like to allow this.
>
> [root at jm-desk-pc] ~# pc-updatemanager chbranch 10.0-RELEASE
> Creating package for pkg-1.2.4_1
> /usr/local/tmp/pkg.txz                        100% of 2014 kB 1426
> kBps 00m01s
> Building a list of user-installed packages... Please wait...
> Building list of user-installed packages...
> Looking up fbsd-update.pcbsd.org <http://fbsd-update.pcbsd.org>
> mirrors... none found.
> Fetching metadata signature for 10-STABLE from
> fbsd-update.pcbsd.org... done.
>
> Files on mirror (10-STABLE-p6) appear older than what
> we are currently running (10-STABLE-p7)!
> Cowardly refusing to proceed any further.
> ERROR: Failed running "freebsd-update -r 10.0-RELEASE upgrade"...

Aurg, that sucks. Wonder if we can "hack" the freebsd-update script to
bypass this check:

If you edit /usr/sbin/freebsd-update:

Look for this section:

--------------------------
        if [ "${RELPATCHNUM}" -lt "${RELPX}" ]; then
                echo
                echo -n "Files on mirror (${RELNUM}-p${RELPATCHNUM})"
                echo " appear older than what"
                echo "we are currently running (`uname -r`)!"
                echo "Cowardly refusing to proceed any further."
                #return 1
        fi

Just comment out the "return 1" as I did above.

Of course this would be experimental, so no promises on if it works ;)