[PC-BSD Testing] Laptop + USB mouse problems

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Jan 9 09:15:31 PST 2014

On 01/08/2014 19:54, Bridger Dyson-Smith wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm getting some odd behavior with USB mice (I've tested a few
> different makes/models) with two different versions of PCBSD on two
> different laptops.
>
> Note: this oddness does not effect the built-in trackpad/button
> functionality, only the external mouse.
>
> Hardware:
> ThinkPad X61, 9.2-RELEASE-p8 Mon Sep 23 16:26:45 UTC 2013 (LXDE)
> ThinkPad T430s 10.0-RELEASE-p2 Mon Dec 30 23:53:14 UTC 2013 (LXDE)
>
> Mice: two different Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye and a
> Dell something-or-other optical mouse with 3 buttons.
>
> Odd behavior:
> Mouse button 1 (left click) isn't recognized at all, and some of the
> left click behavior seems to be incorporated into button 2 (the middle
> wheel, which also seems to be button 4/5).
>
> I've looked through the xorg-gui stuff, but I'm not really sure which
> file(s) I should modify, if any. Any suggestions for getting these
> external mice to cooperate?
>
> Thanks for your time & trouble,
> Bridger

That is odd. You may need to add a custom /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and do
some magic to the InputDevice section:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
    Option         "Buttons" "6"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons"
EndSection

Of course, some of the USB stuff is auto-detected, and you may be able
to make changes in your respective WM as well, so in KDE you would look
at system-settings -> input devices -> mouse.