[PC-BSD Testing] Laptop + USB mouse problems

Bridger Dyson-Smith bdysonsmith at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 16:54:57 PST 2014

Hi all,

I'm getting some odd behavior with USB mice (I've tested a few different
makes/models) with two different versions of PCBSD on two different laptops.

Note: this oddness does not effect the built-in trackpad/button
functionality, only the external mouse.

Hardware:
ThinkPad X61, 9.2-RELEASE-p8 Mon Sep 23 16:26:45 UTC 2013 (LXDE)
ThinkPad T430s 10.0-RELEASE-p2 Mon Dec 30 23:53:14 UTC 2013 (LXDE)

Mice: two different Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye and a Dell
something-or-other optical mouse with 3 buttons.

Odd behavior:
Mouse button 1 (left click) isn't recognized at all, and some of the left
click behavior seems to be incorporated into button 2 (the middle wheel,
which also seems to be button 4/5).

I've looked through the xorg-gui stuff, but I'm not really sure which
file(s) I should modify, if any. Any suggestions for getting these external
mice to cooperate?

Thanks for your time & trouble,
Bridger