[PC-BSD Testing] Next 10-STABLE image available

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Sun Jan 5 03:00:07 PST 2014

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 13:56:37 -0500
Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:

> Ok, I think I may have fixed / improved this. Now it'll save your
> language / keyboard layout from install
> and pass that along to the first-time setup wizard, and eventually the
> login manager (pcdm).
>
> https://github.com/pcbsd/pcbsd/commit/dcfefbbeefd2ac468eea55a65bcfe816d7e5f2a0
> https://github.com/pcbsd/pcbsd/commit/618401b38c72ee350e6a4763b3eb5c0b9780d50d
>
> Once I get some new 10 ISOs rolled, we can test this and ensure it
> works properly.

I'm just testing 10-STABLE-p6 and had/have issues with setting keyboard
layout...

If I install with the default (English) keyboard, then it's not possible
to change it from English to e.g. Croatian and I always end with English
chars in my system (Xfce, i3...).

However, as you wrote above, selecting Croatian keyboard layout during
the install, makes Croatian characters available after the install is
finished.

Is there a way to be able to change keyboard layout *after* one installs
PC-BSD?

Another gotcha is that if I install with the Croatian (non-English)
keyboard, I'd like to see appropriate charactes within my terminal as
well?

Now, they're e.g. avaialable within apps (e.g. Mousepad), but not in the
terminal?

What has to be done to get non-English chars in my terminal on PC-BSD?

Lastly, in previous released I had problem with my ATI-powered netbook
having X200M integrated graphic card and the installer still can't cope
with it.

However, the workaround (from freebsd-x11 list) is to add:

(set kFreeBSD.)hw.pci.default_vgapci_unit="0"

line to (grub) loader.conf in order to get video display using proper
non-vesa (aka ati) driver.

What do you think about adding this help to installer?

Now I'm going dl-ing 10.0-RELEASE-p2 and wonder whether it's the RELEASE
version which I want to use if my intention is to use PC-BSD as rolling
distro, iow. fresh package updates and smooth 'upgrades' of the base OS?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Therefore, without being attached to the fruits of activities,
one should act as a matter of duty, for by working without