[PC-BSD Testing] radeonhd, dvd mounting and a few others

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 03:09:19 PST 2014

Hi,

I upgraded to PCBSD 10 (FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p4 #0: Tue Jan 14 20:48:07 UTC
2014     root at amd64-builder.pcbsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64).

Challenge One:
After this upgrade, my screen would go black after booting with the PCBSD
Joule loading windows flickering on every 2 or so minutes and back to the
black screen. I have an ATI Radeon graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 3200
Graphics). It turns out that my xorg.conf file will not work with this. I
managed to get back into the system by blindly going to the the second
console, logging in and running pc-runxgui then rebooting. After rebooting,
it automagically detect the card and offered the ATI driver for my graphics
card. The previous driver was the RadeonHD.

Challenge Two:
I cannot mount DVDs any more. All attempts end up with an error mount_udf:
/dev/cd0: invalid argument. This may be because of the "device pass" error
mentioned below. CD's and DVD do not show up in mounttray as well.

However, from the command line, as root, I can mount CD/DVD's

# cdcontrol info
Starting track = 1, ending track = 1, TOC size = 18 bytes
track     start  duration   block  length   type
    1   0:02.00  24:54.10       0  112060   data
  170  22:174.160         -  112060       -      -

# file - < /dev/cd0
/dev/stdin: # UDF filesystem data (version 1.5) 'Data20140126'

# sudo mount_udf -v -o ro /dev/cd0 /media
mount_udf: /dev/cd0: Invalid argument

# mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/cd0 /media
this mounts and I can read the CD/DVD though after a few minutes the CD/DVD
disappears and I need to remount.

Challenge Three:
My external drives are not longer "seen" by mounttray or device notifier. I
get a load of this in my logs

xptioctl: pass driver is not in the kernel
xptioctl: put "device pass" in your kernel config file

Strangely enough, I see that the pass device was compiled in the kernel.

kldstat -v -i 1 | grep pass
   28 pass

I am wondering if this may be the cause of failure to see my SD card as
well!

Challenge Four:
My volume controls do not respond any more. I have a slider volume control.
This does not work any more. xev gives this when I press

Vol+
KeyPress event, serial 36, synthetic NO, window 0x7200001,
    root 0x2b8, subw 0x0, time 5531322, (163,-11), root:(827,12),
    state 0x10, keycode 176 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

Vol-
KeyPress event, serial 39, synthetic NO, window 0x7200001,
    root 0x2b8, subw 0x0, time 10412847, (166,-13), root:(830,10),
    state 0x10, keycode 174 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

Mute
KeyPress event, serial 39, synthetic NO, window 0x7200001,
    root 0x2b8, subw 0x0, time 10474813, (166,-16), root:(830,7),
    state 0x10, keycode 140 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

This worked before and now does not work.

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in a
million chances happen 99% of the time.