[PC-BSD Testing] Question/Request: Is there a tool or so for using a Solid State Drive ?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Apr 15 07:44:44 PDT 2014

On Apr 15, 2014, at 5:40 AM, Hans Ruhe <hansruhe1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello to you all,
>
> Prices are becoming real interesting to use a Solid State Drive. Now most of the reviews and tests are done with Microsoft Windows. But I think it is interesting to use it for PCBSD.
>
> Is there a tool to use a Solid State Drive for PCBSD ? Like when I install a fresh PCBSD installation, is it the same as a normal drive ? And is trim being supported ?
>
> If not; is it an idea to develop such a tool ?

It just works out of the box. SSDs appear as hard disks. The ones that claim to support TRIM will use TRIM unless you decide to turn it off (which can be good in some write intensive applications that replace the contents of the disk rather than return them to a free pool then take them out of the free pool).

Warner