[PC-BSD Testing] thunderbird with enigmail - pinentry failure

Sat Sep 7 04:47:12 PDT 2013

Hi,

this is a copy&paste from my freebsd bug report but as nobody could
reproduce it up to now I think this is pbi related:

I use the enigmail plugin that is "compiled into" the thunderbird port.
Every time enigmail needs my passphrase the operation fails. When enabling
the debugging option it gets clear what happens:

[...]
2013-08-03 19:45:52.822 [DEBUG] enigmailCommon.jsm: decryptMessageEnd:
stderrStr=Warning: using insecure memory!
[GNUPG:] ENC_TO 48XXXXXXXXXXC 1 0
[GNUPG:] USERID_HINT 48XXXXXXXXXXXXC Martin Laabs <XXXXXX at martinlaabs.de>
[GNUPG:] NEED_PASSPHRASE 48XXXXXXXXXXXC E3XXXXXXXXXXXX63 1 0
No protocol specified

(pinentry:63844): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0
gpg-agent[63843]: can't connect to the PIN entry module: Dateiende
gpg-agent[63843]: command get_passphrase failed: Kein Pinentry
gpg: Problem mit dem Agenten: Kein Pinentry
[GNUPG:] ERROR get_passphrase 85
[GNUPG:] MISSING_PASSPHRASE
[...]

Calling "xhost +" solves the problem but obvious this is not the solution
for that problem.

Since I use PC-BSD I'm not sure if this problem is specific to the PBI
packages (which reside not in /usr/local but in /usr/pbi/thunderbird...)
but I think this bug is more general. Any ideas how to debug this problem
more in detail are welcome. If you are sure this is PC-BSD specific I will
post the bug to the PC-BSD developers.

Best regards,
 Martin L.