[PC-BSD Testing] Fwd: Pkgng can't install packages from local file?

Curt Dox tigersharke at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 00:16:31 PDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 12:17 AM, Jeff <dejamuse at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running a jail in 9.2 and installed PHP53 (my app requires that
> version) along with PHP53-extensions.
>
> I wanted to additionally install pecl-APC but if I try to install by ports
> or the pkgng package manager it wants to install PHP54 as a dependency
> which I don't want.
>
> Before pkgng I could just use pkg_add thusly: # pkg_add
> pecl-APC-3.1.13.tbz from a file I saved in that directory.
>
> Now if I try that it bombs because it can't find required packages like
> PHP 5.3.27 even though it's installed, presumably because pkgng uses a
> different database that pkg_add can't use.
>
> There doesn't seem to be a way to use pkgng to install a package from a
> local file, only a repository.
>
> So I tried to install PEAR which for some reason isn't bundled with
> FreeBSD PHP port/package.  It should.
>
> Pear also would not install because pgkng wanted to install PHP54, etc.
> So I got PEAR from the PEAR website and installed it directly.
>
> Then I went to install APC with: # pecl install apc
>
> That caused a slew of PHP errors and finally bombed saying it couldn't
> find the XML extension even though it's installed.
>
> Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in
> /usr/local/share/pear/PEAR/Command.php on line 259
> XML Extension not found
>
> So because of pkgng we can't use PEAR to install anything anymore?
>
> I almost like the Wardens package manager but it can be quite tedious to
> find things and so I often just resort to: # pkg info to see what's
> installed.
>
> Seems the package manager could be improved by allowing installation from
> a local file and giving the option of ignoring dependencies.  In the case
> of APC I don't think there are any specific required versions of PHP, etc.,
> so I don't know where the package manager got them from but here's what
> happened when I used pkg_add:
>
> # pkg_add pecl-APC-3.1.14_1.tbz
> pkg_add: could not find package expat-2.1.0 !
> pkg_add: could not find package openssl-1.0.1_8 !
> pkg_add: could not find package cyrus-sasl-2.1.26_2 !
> pkg_add: could not find package openldap-sasl-client-2.4.35 !
> pkg_add: could not find package perl-5.14.4 !
> pkg_add: could not find package pkgconf-0.9.2_1 !
> pkg_add: could not find package pcre-8.33 !
> pkg_add: could not find package gdbm-1.10 !
> pkg_add: could not find package db46-4.6.21.4 !
> pkg_add: could not find package libiconv-1.14_1 !
> pkg_add: could not find package libxml2-2.8.0_2 !
> pkg_add: could not find package apr-1.4.8.1.5.2 !
> pkg_add: could not find package apache22-2.2.25 !
> pkg_add: could not find package php53-5.3.27 !
>
> It couldn't find them because pkg_add can't use the pkgng DB, but why all
> the specific versions listed as prerequisites in the first place?
>
> ... Jeff

I am certainly no expert, however:

* The ports-mgmt tools 'pkg' and 'pkgng' are entirely incompatible with
each other.  If somehow you are using one while the other is
active/present, then you will have troubles (possibly identical to those
you're experiencing).

* There is a pkgng <https://wiki.freebsd.org/PkgPrimer> management tool
called poudriere <http://www.freshports.org/ports-mgmt/poudriere/> which
may be exactly what you wish to have, as it allows easy creation of a local
repo.

* PC-BSD has a public pkgng repository which (aside from some apparent
difficulties recently) should have much of what you need.

I wish you success.