[PC-BSD Testing] Pkgng can't install packages from local file?

Jeff dejamuse at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 17 22:17:37 PDT 2013

Hi,

I'm running a jail in 9.2 and installed PHP53 (my app requires that version) along with PHP53-extensions.

I wanted to additionally install pecl-APC but if I try to install by ports or the pkgng package manager it wants to install PHP54 as a dependency which I don't want.

Before pkgng I could just use pkg_add thusly: # pkg_add pecl-APC-3.1.13.tbz from a file I saved in that directory.

Now if I try that it bombs because it can't find required packages like PHP 5.3.27 even though it's installed, presumably because pkgng uses a different database that pkg_add can't use.

There doesn't seem to be a way to use pkgng to install a package from a local file, only a repository.

So I tried to install PEAR which for some reason isn't bundled with FreeBSD PHP port/package.  It should.

Pear also would not install because pgkng wanted to install PHP54, etc.  So I got PEAR from the PEAR website and installed it directly.

Then I went to install APC with: # pecl install apc

That caused a slew of PHP errors and finally bombed saying it couldn't find the XML extension even though it's installed.

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/share/pear/PEAR/Command.php on line 259
XML Extension not found

So because of pkgng we can't use PEAR to install anything anymore?

I almost like the Wardens package manager but it can be quite tedious to find things and so I often just resort to: # pkg info to see what's installed.

Seems the package manager could be improved by allowing installation from a local file and giving the option of ignoring dependencies.  In the case of APC I don't think there are any specific required versions of PHP, etc., so I don't know where the package manager got them from but here's what happened when I used pkg_add:

# pkg_add pecl-APC-3.1.14_1.tbz
pkg_add: could not find package expat-2.1.0 !
pkg_add: could not find package openssl-1.0.1_8 !
pkg_add: could not find package cyrus-sasl-2.1.26_2 !
pkg_add: could not find package openldap-sasl-client-2.4.35 !
pkg_add: could not find package perl-5.14.4 !
pkg_add: could not find package pkgconf-0.9.2_1 !
pkg_add: could not find package pcre-8.33 !
pkg_add: could not find package gdbm-1.10 !
pkg_add: could not find package db46-4.6.21.4 !
pkg_add: could not find package libiconv-1.14_1 !
pkg_add: could not find package libxml2-2.8.0_2 !
pkg_add: could not find package apr-1.4.8.1.5.2 !
pkg_add: could not find package apache22-2.2.25 !
pkg_add: could not find package php53-5.3.27 !

It couldn't find them because pkg_add can't use the pkgng DB, but why all the specific versions listed as prerequisites in the first place?

... Jeff