[PC-BSD Testing] pkg-ng fails to install ibus

Curt Dox tigersharke at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 14:33:51 PDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 8:22 AM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:

>  On 10/14/2013 20:30, Curt Dox wrote:
>
> I'm not sure how this issue has slipped by so many hands/faces, but for me
> gtk20 has not successfully built in the last few weeks due to this exact
> same issue.
>
>  I have tried removing/deinstalling ALL ports and starting fresh (on
> basically a FreeBSD system) and retrieved ports via svn or via portsnap
> fetch extract.  Any port that needs gtk20 will not build because gtk20 will
> not itself build, due to the lack of "libpixman-1.so.9" needed by
> "im-ibus.so" and there is no exposed option to omit the im-ibus module in
> gtk20.
>
>  IMHO the ports tree should not ever have to depend upon hidden options
> or secret commandline flags in order for any port in the tree to build,
> simply go to that place and type 'make install clean' and all depends
> should be drawn in.  It is frankly assinine to ever suggest that a port
> might be "lighter" simply due to dependencies not being included by the
> port's makefile- if it needs something, it will surely find it on the
> system but this does not obviate the requirement, it does break the
> automagical nature of the ports tree system.
>
>  The serious and unfortunate thing about gtk20 not building, is that it
> affects a wide swath of ports which may not even use gtk20 directly.  One
> may notice that multiple desktops cannot build.
>
>  I continue to look forward to when gtk20 actually builds successfully
> again.  I do not depend upon pkg/pkgng, and this is likely why the issue
> occurs for me and not the devs/maintainers.  The ports system is broken in
> regard to gtk20-dependent ports and that is a shame.
>

> :(
>
> I'm struggling to keep our PKGNG repo updated right now, so many ports are
> in a broken state at the moment.
>
> Is this on a 9.2 system, or 10? Whats the specific error you get when you
> try to compile?
>

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 6:26 AM, Jacob . D <frag-artists at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi, just upgraded this morning and got this error from "pc-update manager
>> pkg update" via terminal :
>>
>> Upgrading ibus from 1.4.1 to 1.4.2...Cannot load module
>> /usr/local/lib/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules/im-ibus.so: Shared object
>> "libibus-1.0.so.401" not found, required by "im-ibus.so"
>> /usr/local/lib/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules/im-ibus.so does not export GTK+ IM
>> module API: Shared object "libibus-1.0.so.401" not found, required by
>> "im-ibus.so"
>> Cannot load module /usr/local/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-ibus.so:
>> Shared object "libibus-1.0.so.401" not found, required by "im-ibus.so"
>>

>> everything else seems to have been upgraded without issue.
>>
>> Just thought I would report this.
>>
>> Thanks!

> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
> iXsystems

kwm (Koop Mast) a FreeBSD dev explained the problem to me and I have
managed to correct my system- gtk20 does now build for me once more.

It seems that when ibus is deinstalled, it is not completely removed.  The
remnants  /usr/local/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/* should be removed
manually after ibus has been officially deinstalled.  Once these items are
removed, there will no longer be a conflict which prevents gtk20 from
building and installing.

Substitute the appropriate gtk30 sub-directory for a similar solution
related to build/install of it.