[PC-BSD Testing] pkg-ng fails to install ibus

Curt Dox tigersharke at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 17:30:12 PDT 2013

I'm not sure how this issue has slipped by so many hands/faces, but for me
gtk20 has not successfully built in the last few weeks due to this exact
same issue.

I have tried removing/deinstalling ALL ports and starting fresh (on
basically a FreeBSD system) and retrieved ports via svn or via portsnap
fetch extract.  Any port that needs gtk20 will not build because gtk20 will
not itself build, due to the lack of "libpixman-1.so.9" needed by
"im-ibus.so" and there is no exposed option to omit the im-ibus module in
gtk20.

IMHO the ports tree should not ever have to depend upon hidden options or
secret commandline flags in order for any port in the tree to build, simply
go to that place and type 'make install clean' and all depends should be
drawn in.  It is frankly assinine to ever suggest that a port might be
"lighter" simply due to dependencies not being included by the port's
makefile- if it needs something, it will surely find it on the system but
this does not obviate the requirement, it does break the automagical nature
of the ports tree system.

The serious and unfortunate thing about gtk20 not building, is that it
affects a wide swath of ports which may not even use gtk20 directly.  One
may notice that multiple desktops cannot build.

I continue to look forward to when gtk20 actually builds successfully
again.  I do not depend upon pkg/pkgng, and this is likely why the issue
occurs for me and not the devs/maintainers.  The ports system is broken in
regard to gtk20-dependent ports and that is a shame.