[PC-BSD Testing] Error booting PCBSD flash drive

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 09:46:31 PST 2013

Hi,

I have successfully made a usb flash drive of PCBSD 10, from 12 November
2013. It took forever to download, about three days (bad link).

I wrote it to USB as follows:

dd if=PCBSD10-STABLE-x64-DVD-USB-latest.img of=/dev/da0 bs=4

when I boot, I die off with

init: can't exec /bin/sh for /etc/rc: Exec format error
init: can't exec /bin/sh for /etc/nsswitch.conf line 2: syntax error at ' '

init: login_getclass: unknown class 'daemon'
init: login_getclass:no default/fallback class 'default'

Enter full pathname of shell or return for /bin/sh: /bin/sh

Obviously I cannot proceed from here. Does this image work well for others?
I can decompress this and make corrections where necessary... question is,
where?

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in a
million chances happen 99% of the time.