[PC-BSD Testing] Issues after installing latest iso

Priyadarshan testing-pcbsd at bontempi.net
Sat Nov 9 14:55:25 PST 2013

On 08/11/2013 17:52, Priyadarshan wrote:
> On 08/11/2013 16:39, Priyadarshan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am meeting three issue after having installed (three times now) the
>> latest ISO:
>>
>> http://iso.cdn.pcbsd.org/9.2-RELEASE/amd64/PCBSD9.2-RELEASE-p9-11-03-2013-x64-DVD-USB.iso
>>

>> 1. Setting ZFS set name at install time
>>
>> Note: I have two disks which I set up as as a mirror a while back, with:
>> zpool create -o ashift=12 tank mirror ada0 ada1
>>
>> The option to give a name different from the default "tank" seem not
>> work. If I check the button and input some name, the "next" button does
>> not highlight.
>>
>> If I leave the button unchecked, the set name given at install time is
>> "tank1", not "tank", which seem logical, since I already have a "tank"
>> setup.
>>

>> 2. At install time I selected the nvidia driver, since I have an NVIDIA
>> NVS 310 card.
>>
>> At setup time, I can see the initial card choice is displayed correctly
>> ("nv"), although the resolution is wrong (1024x768, I believe).
>>
>> When I try to adjust the resolution (1920x1200), X does not recognise my
>> card. It almost seems that the driver is not there? I tried many
>> different choices, with no success.
>>
>> In my previous install (FreeBSD 9-STABLE-p9 #0: Sat Sep 14 01:02:17 UTC
>> 2013) the card and resolution were properly selected, automatically.
>> Right now I am stuck with the generic driver, at 1024x728.
>>

>> 3. It seems that I can't see my old mirror ZFS set anymore. It does not
>> shows up in zfs list, nor zpool status. Only the freshly install set
>> shows up.
>>
>> Could it be that FreeBSD-RELEASE-p9's ZFS version is lower than FreeBSD
>> 9-STABLE-p9?
>>
>> How do I go about getting that set back?
>>
>> At this point, unfortunately, I am unable to use my system.
>>

>> Priyadarshan
>>

> For issue #2 (not picking up the nvidia card), I opened the terminal,
> and from root I ran:
> ~# nvidia-config
>
> Then logged out, logged back in and the proper resolution was finally
> automatically selected.
>
> I guess the current installer has lost some bits along the way, since I
> did not have to do that with FreeBSD 9-STABLE-p9.
>

> My main concern now is that I cannot figure it out how to mount my old
> mirrored ZFS set (tank). I verified that both ZFS (the boot volume and
> the two mirrored volumes) are using ZFS 5000, so it is not a version
> mismatch.
>
> I would be very grateful on some pointers or links.
>

> Thank you!
>

> Priyadarshan

I resolved issue #3 (missing ZFS dataset "tank") by doing, as root:
[root at akasha] ~# zpool import -f tank

That leaves only the first issue (see above: abnormal button behaviour),
and the fact that on some systems one needs to run nvidia-config to
activate proper resolution. That was not necessary on 9.2-STABLE.

Thank you

Priyadarshan