[PC-BSD Testing] System not responsive after initial install screen

Priyadarshan testing-pcbsd at bontempi.net
Fri Nov 8 11:52:39 PST 2013

On 08/11/2013 14:37, Kris Moore wrote:
> On 11/08/2013 13:00, Priyadarshan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Last night I downloaded and burned to DVD the latest iso:
>> http://iso.cdn.pcbsd.org/9.2-RELEASE/amd64/PCBSD9.2-RELEASE-x64-DVD-latest.iso
>>

>> When booting from the DVD, I get the "Welcome to GRUB" message, then
>> the PC_BSD/TrueOS Installation graphical screen.
>>
>> Choosing the "Graphical Install" (or any of the three choices) brings
>> up a black window. DVD spins up for about 20 seconds, but keyboard
>> stop working, and the only option is to reboot.
>>
>> PC-BSD is working perfectly on this machine, at version:
>>
>> [root at akasha] ~# uname -a
>>
>> FreeBSD akasha 9-STABLE-p9 FreeBSD 9-STABLE-p9 #0: Sat Sep 14 01:02:17
>> UTC 2013     root at amd64-builder.pcbsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
>> amd64
>>

>> Thank you for any pointer on how to fix this,
>>
>> Priyadarshan
>
> If you let it sit several minutes, does it eventually continue? I've
> seen several reports of GRUB taking a LONG time to initialize. No other
> error messages? Also, did you test the checksum / burn?

Yes, I did check the checksum, and verified the burn.

I tried to let it stay in "black window" mode, but it won't start.

Your message inspired me to try to boot from DVD using the bios SATA
option (versus the EFI default, I am on HP Z620 workstation), and it
booted normally, with no delays.

Thank you,

Priyadarshan

PS: I love the new SSD and 4k partitioning options