[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD non out-of-box items

Bridger Dyson-Smith bdysonsmith at gmail.com
Tue May 28 09:21:15 PDT 2013

Hi Julian,

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Ken Moore <ken at pcbsd.org> wrote:

> On 05/25/2013 07:15, Julian Elischer wrote:
>
>> The following items failed the "out of box" test in PCBSD9.1++ on a
>> Lenovo W530.
>>
>> Minecraft PBI  (I have kids ok)   crashes after login.
>>

> I will take a look at this. I am willing to bet the Minecraft PBI just
> needs to be rebuilt with newer versions of the LWJGL libraries.
>
> I think the Minecraft PBI fails the first time it is launched -- I recall
a forum thread re this, but don't have a link at the moment. I installed it
recently and it works OK.

I don't recall the specifics, but after launching & having it fail, I
started it up a second time & it worked (and continues to work). If I have
some time this afternoon I'll try reinstalling the PBI and report back.

>  Firefox PBI.. youtube fail.. asks for a new flash player (which will
>> obviously not work)
>>

> We have noticed/talked about this on the forums as well. It seems to be
> the combination of Firefox/Youtube that is causing this issue, as other
> browsers or websites work with the flash player just fine. Some people
> reported that turning on the HTML5 support in youtube will fix a lot of
> these issues.
>

>> Power management...  seems to use power a lot faster than Windows..
>> and get warmer
>>
>> suspend..  may suspend,, hard to tell because you cant see what's going
>> on when you unsuspend.. (integrated (intel) graphicics)
>> Nvidia seems to just fail on start but I wil try it again just ti be sure.
>>
>> on restart after suspend screen is white with small coloured spots.
>> like rainbow measles.
>> in X, <CTL><ALT><F1> doe go away from the X but does not go to the
>> console. you get what looks like a negative of the X screen (different
>> colours) but with corruption.
>> <CTL><ALT><F9>  does correctly revert to the X11 screen, cleaning up the
>> trashed screen.
>>
>> Sound by default selects the wrong sound device. selecting the right
>> device by hand works and stays correct.
>>
>> Generally an ok  install but for the above items.
>> VirtualBox seems to work fine which is the item I was really worrying
>> about,
>>
>> Julian

> ~~ Ken Moore ~~
> PC-BSD/iXsystems