[PC-BSD Testing] aarghh

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed May 8 10:12:28 PDT 2013

On 05/08/2013 12:21, Julian Elischer wrote:
> On 5/8/13 8:25 AM, Kris Moore wrote:
>> On 05/08/2013 02:22, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>>> Something with graphics in PC-BSD 9.1 just sux and noone wants to
>>> address it. That phenomenon happens with most graphics adapters.
>>> Plus on GUI mode, you cannot access the console using ctl+alt+Fn -
>>> the screens appears to get corrupted and freezes.
>>>

>> This is a problem inherit to the FreeBSD system + Intel W/KMS drivers.
>>
>> When the display wizard runs the first time, it's not doing anything
>> magical, its just letting X auto-detect the best settings / resolution
>> for your display. However with the newer Intel drivers, there are a
>> number of bugs this exposes. First, on some Intel chipsets you can
>> only run once, and when X terminates it hangs the box. Second, and
>> probably the bigger issue is that the KMS part of the Intel driver
>> kills the FreeBSD console-modes, I.E. Ctrl-Alt-F1. This is a known
>> issue again with KMS, since FreeBSD does not have a KMS enabled
>> console driver :(
>>
>> The first issue could be a bug in the Intel driver itself, but I'm no
>> driver guy, so I can't say for certain. The second issue is much more
>> difficult and will require a kernel guy to implement the whole of KMS
>> into FreeBSD, provide a console frame-buffer driver, etc. So far
>> nobody has stepped up to the task, and most kernel devs don't want to
>> touch it :(
>>
>> If you want to bypass the GUI wizard though, you can do so by removing
>> this file:
>>
>> /var/.runxsetup
>>
>> That should get you running again.
>>
>> As for the non-3d mode, it just uses a more "generic" xorg.conf file
>> with some of the DRI bits turned off. That may be working in your case
>> if that's where the first bug is being exposed.
>
> thanks for the explanation..
>
> sounds to me like the "can only run it once" problem is present if you
> add the 3d part.. if you don't, then you can run it more often.
>

> I upgraded my underlying system to -current and it all still works
> fine (though I lost a couple of options on the boot menu.. )
>
> used PCBSD as a quick way to get a desktop on -current..
>  a few warnings on startup but nothing I care about.
>
> does PCBSD 9.1 use the new package system?
>
> I was thinking of running portmaster and upgrading all teh loaded
> packages to be compiled on 10. but it is complaining about mixing old
> and new packages.

Yep, its all being built with PKGNG packages. So you can add our repo,
and take care of upgrades via 'pkg upgrade' or 'pkg install'

Its on the wiki page I sent earlier, but in the meantime you can use
this pkg.conf setup:

packagesite: http://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/mirror/packages/9.1-RELEASE/amd64
PUBKEY: /usr/local/etc/pkg-pubkey.cert
PKG_CACHEDIR: /usr/local/tmp