[PC-BSD Testing] aarghh

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed May 8 08:25:45 PDT 2013

On 05/08/2013 02:22, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> Something with graphics in PC-BSD 9.1 just sux and noone wants to
> address it. That phenomenon happens with most graphics adapters. Plus
> on GUI mode, you cannot access the console using ctl+alt+Fn - the
> screens appears to get corrupted and freezes.

This is a problem inherit to the FreeBSD system + Intel W/KMS drivers.

When the display wizard runs the first time, it's not doing anything
magical, its just letting X auto-detect the best settings / resolution
for your display. However with the newer Intel drivers, there are a
number of bugs this exposes. First, on some Intel chipsets you can only
run once, and when X terminates it hangs the box. Second, and probably
the bigger issue is that the KMS part of the Intel driver kills the
FreeBSD console-modes, I.E. Ctrl-Alt-F1. This is a known issue again
with KMS, since FreeBSD does not have a KMS enabled console driver :(

The first issue could be a bug in the Intel driver itself, but I'm no
driver guy, so I can't say for certain. The second issue is much more
difficult and will require a kernel guy to implement the whole of KMS
into FreeBSD, provide a console frame-buffer driver, etc. So far nobody
has stepped up to the task, and most kernel devs don't want to touch it :(

If you want to bypass the GUI wizard though, you can do so by removing
this file:

/var/.runxsetup

That should get you running again.

As for the non-3d mode, it just uses a more "generic" xorg.conf file
with some of the DRI bits turned off. That may be working in your case
if that's where the first bug is being exposed.