[PC-BSD Testing] Questions for 32bit users

Ned Zaglio nzaglio at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 17 15:52:26 PDT 2013

> Developers / Testers, > Just a quick informal survey today! > These questions go out to any 32bit users, so if you are running the
> 64bit version, you can disregard this e-mail. > If you are running 32bit version, what kind of hardware are you using?
> CPU / Memory?

Running in VirtualBox on a Mac:
[Darwin Kernel Version 11.4.2: Thu Aug 23 16:25:48 PDT 2012; root:xnu-1699.32.7~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64]

This was installed with the regular 32 bit DVD iso and not the VirtualBox 32 bit DVD  disk.

From the PCBSD diagnostics:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P8700  @ 2.53GHz (315.22-MHz 686-class CPU)
Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x1067a  Family = 6  Model = 17  Stepping = 10
Features=0x783fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2>
Features2=0x209<SSE3,MON,SSSE3>
AMD Features=0x20100800<SYSCALL,NX,LM>
AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
real memory  = 1073676288 (1023 MB)
avail memory = 1027092480 (979 MB)

> If this is a 64bit capable CPU, they why did you opt for the 32bit?

IIRC I tried the 64 bit in VirtualBox shortly after the release. Seems that the mouse integration under the GuestAdditions did not work properly. And a while back I believe I tried PCBSD using the VirtualBox images but believe there were a couple of "issues" at that time - but don't remember exactly what they were now.

Back again at this point - thanks a lot for the rolling release.