[PC-BSD Testing] Testing the Rolling Release from original 9.1

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 07:21:47 PST 2013

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 6:45 AM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:

>  On 03/05/2013 18:50, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
>

> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:
>

>> Anybody who want to help us out testing a system update from the
>> original 9.1 -> 9.1-RollingRelease can now do so!
>>
>> To start the process on your system edit the file:
>>
>> /usr/local/share/pcbsd/pc-updatemanager/conf/sysupdate.conf
>>
>> Change the line:
>>
>> PATCHSET: pcbsd

>> PATCHSET: pcbsdtest
>>
>> After this is done you can just run the update manager gui, or
>> pc-updatemanager command to apply the update as normal.
>>
>> Please let us know any feedback you have with the patch, so we can
>> bugfix and improve it.
>>

>> Known Issues:
>>
>> Once the desktop is re-installed, there is a bug in the online update
>> tray notifier which isn't showing if new packages are available. I'm
>> currently investigating.
>>
>> --
>> Kris Moore
>> PC-BSD Software
>> iXsystems
>>

> There are the following problems :
>

> (1) The following server is responding very slowly and many times the web
> browser is displaying
> "Server not found" message :
>
> ftp://mirrors.isc.org/pub/pcbsd/
>

> If you go to control panel -> system manager -> mirrors and change to
> another, does it help?

Since it is not possible to run the PC-BSD , this can not be tested in
PC-BSD .
>From Linux , *.isc.org is consistently slow .

For FreeBSD , please see the following message thread :
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2013-February/040175.html

This means , problem is NOT specific to PC-BSD , but access to *.isc.org in
general .

Other mirrors are working very fast , for example :

 http://mirror.hs-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/pcbsd/
http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/pcbsd/

My suggestion is to change default server in the following page because it
is not only my problem , other people are also experiencing very slow
access to *.isc.org  :

http://www.pcbsd.org/en/download.html

to another suitable default , fast mirror server . I think you know much
better than me which one can be default for you with respect to mirror
specialties such as number of concurrent accesses , and allowed ( supplied
) band width to public .

> (2) The following file is installing well , booting , showing the splash
> screen , then asking screen size correctness and  then it is crashing :
>

> http://mirror.hs-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/pcbsd/9.1-RELEASE/amd64/PCBSD9.1-RELEASE-02-20-2013-x64-DVD.iso
>

>  I've got a new ISO that will be hitting the mirrors here in a few days,
> should fix these issues.
>
> The same problem was in the previous file mentioned  in the page on date
> February 14, 2013 at 4:54 am :
>
> http://blog.pcbsd.org/2013/02/status-update-and-future-plans/
>
> Thank you very much .
>
> Mehmet Erol Sanliturk