[PC-BSD Testing] errors when installing latest rolling release

miyamoto moesasji miyamoto.31b at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 14:51:37 PDT 2013

I've installed the new rolling release iso (06-26-2013) on one of my
test-machines using the whole disk for the install. Unfortunately in
doing so I encounter two errors

1) First error is that my wireless card triggers a page fault when
probed. This is an RTL8187L on an Asus P5K premium motherboard, which
uses the urtw driver. This computer was running a FreeBSD 9.1 Stable
snapshot (20130512-r250582) from the 13th of May under which this
wireless card worked without issues. So I'm pretty surprised to see
this happening.

Disabling this wireless card in bios allows me to boot into the
installer, which confirms that the backtrace is indeed triggered by
the wireless card.

The backtrace looks roughly as follows (assuming that exact memory
addresses are not needed):
##
cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
fault virtual adress = 0x28
fault code =supervisor read data, page not present
instruction pointer = ...
stack pointer = ...
code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xffff, type 0x1b
                      = DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def32 0, gran 1
processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process = 15 (usbus3)
trap number = 12
panic: page fault
cpuid = 0
KDB: stack backtrace
& ...at kdb_backtrace
&...at panic
& .. at trap_fatal
& ..at trap_pfault
& ..at trap
& ..at calltrap
& ..at if_alloc
& ..at urtw_attach
& ..at device_attach
&...at usb_probe_and_attach
& ..at uhub_explore
& ..at usb_bus_explore
&...at usb_process
&.. at fork_exit
&...at fork_trampoline

2) After having completed the install and a reboot grub2 presents me
with an error message after a long delay (~30 seconds) after the
welcome to grub message, but then boots succesfully. The error message
is: "Error: No symbol table." This delay clearly shouldn't happen as
it makes a (re)boot pretty painful.