[PC-BSD Testing] Are older nvidia cards no longer supported?

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Tue Jun 25 14:21:37 PDT 2013

On 06/25/13 16:51, Jacob . D wrote:
> Hi, m Nvidia  520GT(2GB)  went south today and I had to rumble through my stash of junk
>
> Fortunately I  still had a  Ge-force 210 in storage, but screen goes blank and does nothing after the installer finishes loader and the other things?
>
> It seems to detect it, from the boot messages I saw, but would the card only having 512 of Video RAM be an issue for the KDE GUI based installer? I know KDE can be quite a hungry beast  !
>
> or is it because there were no applicable drivers available?
>
> Please help me get to the bottom of this issue.
>
> Thanks!

If I recall correctly there are two nvidia drivers, one "current" and
one "legacy" (or something like that). By default, the "current" one is
included on the PC-BSD install media, but you might end up needing the
"legacy" one for the older card (I don't recall if the "legacy" driver
is also on the install media).

--
~~ Ken Moore ~~
PC-BSD/iXsystems