[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD Status Update

kaltheat at googlemail.com kaltheat at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 21 02:11:37 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:24:32AM -0400, Kris Moore wrote:

> I wanted to take this time to give you a status update on PC-BSD /
> TrueOS, and the direction going forward. As many of you know, we've been
> doing builds of 9.1-RELEASE and 9-STABLE as a "Rolling-Release". Our new
> plan is to issue system and package updates on the following schedule:
>
> 9.1-RELEASE
> - Update PKGNG repo on or about the 1st and 15th of the month.
>
> 9-STABLE
> - Update the PKGNG repo on or about the 5th and 20th of the month
> - Issue a new "freebsd-update" patch on the 1st, which includes the
> latest -STABLE version

Thanks for the status update!

Referring to your effort to "make PC-BSD / TrueOS, secure, stable and
timely": How will you handle urgent security issues in base system and
in packages? As I realized security issues in base system get fixed very
soon (possibly you directly take the FreeBSD upgrade snapshots). That's
fine. But I think with packages when there is a security issue discovered
and solved on the 1th of a month and you can only get the fix two weeks
later, it wouldn't be that fine (especially with browser, mail or
audio/video (flash) packages which are widely used on desktop systems).

Regards,
kaltheat