[PC-BSD Testing] TrueOS pc-fbsdupdatecheck problems

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Jun 20 13:48:23 PDT 2013

On 06/20/2013 16:16, Oldi Morava wrote:
> I just installed TrueOS using the latest iso 06-03-2013. The first
> thing I did was to run pc-fbsdupdatecheck. It said that it needed to
> download around 800 files. Then it stoped, complaining that the
> download failed. I tried again. This time it said that it needed to
> download 780 files then the same error, and so on. I had to do this
> many times before all the files were downloaded. I have no problem
> with the internet connection so it seems that the update server keeps
> dropping the connection.
>
> Secondly after reading http://fbsd-update.pcbsd.org/ I was hoping that
> TrueOS would be following STABLE and be at 9 TrueOS 4. However I get
> TrueOS 9.1-RELEASE-P8. Has the switch to STABLE not happened yet? It
> seems that the update is following PC-BSD updates and not the TrueOS.
>
> Thirdly, I get "The following files are affected by updates, but no
> changes have been downloaded because the files have been modified locally:
>
> /etc/make.conf
> /etc/motd
> /var/db/mergemaster.mtree

You can ignore those files, they are different from what the update
server expects, but are still valid.

> I haven't modified any files. I get the above message every time I run
> pc-fbsdupdatecheck. On the other hand I get "No updates needed to
> update system to 9.1-RELEASE-p9, although uname --a gives me
> 9.1-RELEASE-p8. So I am not sure whether I am at p9 or at p8.
>
> Thanks

If you are on 9.1-RELEASE, then that is *not* -STABLE, that is -RELEASE.
I just finished pushing out the -p9 patches a few minutes ago. If you
give it another whirl, does it update to -p9? (You may need to reboot
before it shows the -p9 BTW)

If you want to manually update to the -STABLE branch, you can use the
"freebsd-update -r 9-TRUEOS" command. That will pull down the new world
+ kernel, however the packages for 9-STABLE are not updated on the
mirrors yet. If you can wait a week or two, then all the packages will
be online, and it should be safer to upgrade to -STABLE.