[PC-BSD Testing] TrueOS pc-fbsdupdatecheck problems

Oldi Morava oldi.backup at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 13:16:57 PDT 2013

I just installed TrueOS using the latest iso 06-03-2013. The first thing I did was to run pc-fbsdupdatecheck. It said that it needed to download around 800 files. Then it stoped, complaining that the download failed. I tried again. This time it said that it needed to download 780 files then the same error, and so on. I had to do this many times before all the files were downloaded. I have no problem with the internet connection so it seems that the update server keeps dropping the connection.

Secondly after reading http://fbsd-update.pcbsd.org/ I was hoping that TrueOS would be following STABLE and be at 9 TrueOS 4. However I get TrueOS 9.1-RELEASE-P8. Has the switch to STABLE not happened yet? It seems that the update is following PC-BSD updates and not the TrueOS.

Thirdly, I get “The following files are affected by updates, but no changes have been downloaded because the files have been modified locally:

/etc/make.conf
/etc/motd
/var/db/mergemaster.mtree

I haven’t modified any files. I get the above message every time I run pc-fbsdupdatecheck. On the other hand I get “No updates needed to update system to 9.1-RELEASE-p9, although uname –a gives me 9.1-RELEASE-p8. So I am not sure whether I am at p9 or at p8.

Thanks