[PC-BSD Testing] [PC-BSD Dev] PC-BSD Status Update

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Jun 20 07:58:54 PDT 2013

On 06/20/2013 10:49, Bridger Dyson-Smith wrote:
> Hi Kris,
> Thanks for the update (and, as always, the continually awesome OS)!
>
> Can you talk a bit more about the decision to include GRUB? Just
> curious, from a newbie's perspective, of how the inclusion of the
> GPL'd stuff w/ the BSD-licensed stuff will work, long-term.
>
> Cheers!
> Bridger

Well, in this case it really doesn't change anything. We are just using
GRUB to boot, but once you boot-up, its good-ole' FreeBSD, same as always.

I would *love* to have a BSD licensed replacement, but in the meantime I
don't want to wait years to get these new features in peoples hands.
Maybe this will spur some BSD developers on to replacing the crummy old
FreeBSD loader + 4th code ;)