[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD Status Update

Ilya Bakulin ilya at bakulin.de
Thu Jun 20 07:36:34 PDT 2013

Hi Kris,
thank you for this great status update!

On 2013-06-20 16:24, Kris Moore wrote:
> In addition to the rolling release, we also have some other cool new
> projects in the works. The first among these is our work to make ZFS
> the
> cornerstone of the PC-BSD/TrueOS experience.
This is cool, this means that more users will become familiar with ZFS
and will not fear to use it on their servers, too :-)

> we've decided to drop the i386 builds going forward, and instead
> focus on a single 64bit architecture. This means the next editions of
> rolling-release and 9.2 onward will be 64bit only.
So should I treat this as an answer to my mail about wrong arch in i386
pkgng repository? :-)
In any case, moving to amd64-only builds is reasonable, because 99% of
desktop systems and modern servers (presumably the main target of
PC-BSD/TrueOS) are already 64bit-capable, and only a few freaks like me
have embedded-like Soekris boards that cannot run 64-bit code.

Again thanks for the great project!

// Ilya