[PC-BSD Testing] ERROR: Failed extracting ZFS chroot environment [FIXED]

Casey Hancock i3luefire.casey at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 16:28:42 PDT 2013


ok. i have updated my system using "pkg update -f ; pkg upgrade" and
that fixed the problems with warden. Thank You to all the people who
made this happen.


> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Casey Hancock <i3luefire.casey at gmail.com>
> To: testing at lists.pcbsd.org
> Cc:
> Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 17:29:54 -0500
> Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] ERROR: Failed extracting ZFS chroot environment (update?)
> has anyone had a chance to look more deeply into the issue i am having
> yet? i have since been in #pcbsd on freenode and asked about this.
> nobody there could come up with a solution but one person was able to
> confirm the same problem with their system.
>
>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>> From: Casey Hancock <i3luefire.casey at gmail.com>
>> To: testing at lists.pcbsd.org
>> Cc:
>> Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 18:43:38 -0500
>> Subject: [PC-BSD Testing] warden "ERROR: Failed extracting ZFS chroot environment"
>> this is the output from the warden window
>>
>> Getting regional mirror...
>> Using mirror: ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/mirror
>> Fetching jail environment. This may take a while...
>> Downloading ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/mirror/9.1/a...sd-release.txz ...
>> Creating ZFS /usr/jails/.warden-chroot-amd64 dataset...
>> ERROR: Failed extracting ZFS chroot environment
>>
>>
>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>> From: Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org>
>> To: testing at lists.pcbsd.org
>> Cc:
>> Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 20:13:35 -0400
>> Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] warden "ERROR: Failed extracting ZFS chroot environment"
>> On 06/05/2013 19:43, Casey Hancock wrote:
>>
>> this is the output from the warden window
>>
>> Getting regional mirror...
>> Using mirror: ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/mirror
>> Fetching jail environment. This may take a while...
>> Downloading ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/mirror/9.1/a...sd-release.txz ...
>> Creating ZFS /usr/jails/.warden-chroot-amd64 dataset...
>> ERROR: Failed extracting ZFS chroot environment
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Testing mailing list
>> Testing at lists.pcbsd.org
>> http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo/testing
>>
>>
>> How is your disk layout setup? Can you post output of "mount" and "zfs list" commands?
>>
>> --
>> Kris Moore
>> PC-BSD Software
>> iXsystems
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: <oldi.backup at gmail.com>
> To: <testing at lists.pcbsd.org>
> Cc:
> Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 09:23:59 +0100
> Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] ZFS - /root seperate filesystem
> I think that the USB image install was the standard 9.1 December release, not the recent rolling release image. That could explain the difference in the list of filesystems. However, I still think it should be fixed for people who do not want to follow the rolling release.
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org>
> To: Casey Hancock <i3luefire.casey at gmail.com>
> Cc: testing at lists.pcbsd.org
> Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 09:25:03 -0400
> Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] ERROR: Failed extracting ZFS chroot environment (update?)
> On 06/11/2013 18:29, Casey Hancock wrote:
>> has anyone had a chance to look more deeply into the issue i am having
>> yet? i have since been in #pcbsd on freenode and asked about this.
>> nobody there could come up with a solution but one person was able to
>> confirm the same problem with their system.
>>
>>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>> From: Casey Hancock <i3luefire.casey at gmail.com>
>>> To: testing at lists.pcbsd.org
>>> Cc:
>>> Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 18:43:38 -0500
>>> Subject: [PC-BSD Testing] warden "ERROR: Failed extracting ZFS chroot environment"
>>> this is the output from the warden window
>>>
>>> Getting regional mirror...
>>> Using mirror: ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/mirror
>>> Fetching jail environment. This may take a while...
>>> Downloading ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/mirror/9.1/a...sd-release.txz ...
>>> Creating ZFS /usr/jails/.warden-chroot-amd64 dataset...
>>> ERROR: Failed extracting ZFS chroot environment
>>>
>>>
>>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>> From: Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org>
>>> To: testing at lists.pcbsd.org
>>> Cc:
>>> Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 20:13:35 -0400
>>> Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] warden "ERROR: Failed extracting ZFS chroot environment"
>>> On 06/05/2013 19:43, Casey Hancock wrote:
>>>
>>> this is the output from the warden window
>>>
>>> Getting regional mirror...
>>> Using mirror: ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/mirror
>>> Fetching jail environment. This may take a while...
>>> Downloading ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/mirror/9.1/a...sd-release.txz ...
>>> Creating ZFS /usr/jails/.warden-chroot-amd64 dataset...
>>> ERROR: Failed extracting ZFS chroot environment
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Testing mailing list
>>> Testing at lists.pcbsd.org
>>> http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo/testing
>>>
>>>
>>> How is your disk layout setup? Can you post output of "mount" and "zfs list" commands?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Kris Moore
>>> PC-BSD Software
>>> iXsystems
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Testing mailing list
>> Testing at lists.pcbsd.org
>> http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo/testing
>
> I replied a while back with this:
>
> How is your disk layout setup? Can you post output of "mount" and "zfs
> list" commands? Also what version of PC-BSD are you on? Rolling release,
> or the older 9.1?
>
>
> --
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
> iXsystems
>
>
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org>
> To: testing at lists.pcbsd.org
> Cc:
> Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 11:24:34 -0400
> Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] Jails can't talk to internet
> On 06/11/2013 10:16, Jeff wrote:
>
> I run PCBSD 9.1 and have a Warden jail setup.
>
> In that jail which has it's own local IP, 192.168.1.12, I have an Apache server.
>
> Normally when I connect the computer to a single router that is connected to a modem, I set "nameserver 192.168.1.1", i.e. the router LAN IP / gateway, in etc/resolv.conf on the jail and have no problems.
>
> Now I have added a 2nd router daisy chained from the primary router, running a subnet (primary router has IP: 192.168.1.1 and secondary router: 192.168.2.1).
>
> The computer running the jail is plugged into the secondary router.
>
> The problem is, the jail can't contact the internet. I can SSH into the jail from the host but it takes a very long time to connect, like 15 seconds or so.
>
> I can't ping out of the jail either, even as root I get: ping: socket: Operation not permitted.
>
> Disabling the firewall has no effect.
>
> The server responds to any connection from any computer connected to the 2nd router but it's slow.
>
> I've tried different IP addresses for "nameserver" but nothing works. The resolv.conf file on the PCBSD host just lists the ISPs DNS servers. Even changing the 2nd router's IP to 192.168.1.1 and the primary router to 192.168.2.1 has no effect. I thought maybe the jails needed to be on the same subnet.
>
> I have no problems using the internet from the host, just the jails.
>
> Any ideas why this happens and how to get around it? I've had this problem for years with different versions of FreeBSD.
>
> I thought that jails just used the host's internet setup.
>
> I posted this first on the PCBSD forum but got no response.  I also posted on the FreeBSD networking forum and got this, which is a bit over my head:
>
>
> That is a bit more complex. Pinging is off in a jails by default, but you can enable them with this:
>
> #  warden set flags <myjailip> allow.raw_sockets=true
>
> Then restart the jail.
>
> Next, I'm guessing the delay in the jail responding to queries is because of some failing reverse DNS lookups. You can try to fix this by enabling BIND on the system / jail by setting:
>
> named_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf of the jail or host, then use the local IP as DNS server.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/network-dns.html
>
> --
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
> iXsystems
>
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Casey Hancock <i3luefire.casey at gmail.com>
> To: Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org>
> Cc: testing at lists.pcbsd.org
> Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 12:29:49 -0500
> Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] ERROR: Failed extracting ZFS chroot environment (update?)
> sorry i missed part of my previous email on copy and paste which i am
> now putting below.
> also here is the specific output you asked for but it and more are in
> the pastebin link below
>
> [i3luefire at pcbsd-717] ~% mount ; zpool list
> tank0/ROOT/default on / (zfs, local, noatime, nfsv4acls)
> devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
> procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
> linprocfs on /compat/linux/proc (linprocfs, local)
> tank0/usr/jails/.warden-chroot-amd64 on
> /tank0/usr/jails/.warden-chroot-amd64 (zfs, local, noatime, nfsv4acls)
> tank0/tmp on /tmp (zfs, local, noatime, nfsv4acls)
> tank0/usr/home on /usr/home (zfs, local, noatime, nfsv4acls)
> tank0/usr/home/i3luefire on /usr/home/i3luefire (zfs, local, noatime, nfsv4acls)
> tank0/usr/jails on /usr/jails (zfs, local, noatime, nfsv4acls)
> tank0/usr/obj on /usr/obj (zfs, local, noatime, nfsv4acls)
> tank0/usr/pbi on /usr/pbi (zfs, local, noatime, nfsv4acls)
> tank0/usr/ports on /usr/ports (zfs, local, noatime, nfsv4acls)
> tank0/usr/ports/distfiles on /usr/ports/distfiles (zfs, local,
> noatime, nfsv4acls)
> tank0/usr/src on /usr/src (zfs, local, noatime, nfsv4acls)
> tank0/var/audit on /var/audit (zfs, local, noatime, nfsv4acls)
> tank0/var/log on /var/log (zfs, local, noatime, nfsv4acls)
> tank0/var/tmp on /var/tmp (zfs, local, noatime, nfsv4acls)
> NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE CAP DEDUP HEALTH ALTROOT
> tank0 1.36T 22.1G 1.34T 1% 1.00x ONLINE -
>
> my missed copy V
> - here is that and some other info another user was asked for on a
> similar (maybe same) topic
> - http://pastebin.com/szQXSqQJ
> - also here is the other place i found something similar being discussed.
> - http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?p=106722#post106722
>
> On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 8:25 AM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:
>> On 06/11/2013 18:29, Casey Hancock wrote:
>>> has anyone had a chance to look more deeply into the issue i am having
>>> yet? i have since been in #pcbsd on freenode and asked about this.
>>> nobody there could come up with a solution but one person was able to
>>> confirm the same problem with their system.
>>>
>>>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>>> From: Casey Hancock <i3luefire.casey at gmail.com>
>>>> To: testing at lists.pcbsd.org
>>>> Cc:
>>>> Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 18:43:38 -0500
>>>> Subject: [PC-BSD Testing] warden "ERROR: Failed extracting ZFS chroot environment"
>>>> this is the output from the warden window
>>>>
>>>> Getting regional mirror...
>>>> Using mirror: ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/mirror
>>>> Fetching jail environment. This may take a while...
>>>> Downloading ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/mirror/9.1/a...sd-release.txz ...
>>>> Creating ZFS /usr/jails/.warden-chroot-amd64 dataset...
>>>> ERROR: Failed extracting ZFS chroot environment
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>>> From: Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org>
>>>> To: testing at lists.pcbsd.org
>>>> Cc:
>>>> Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 20:13:35 -0400
>>>> Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] warden "ERROR: Failed extracting ZFS chroot environment"
>>>> On 06/05/2013 19:43, Casey Hancock wrote:
>>>>
>>>> this is the output from the warden window
>>>>
>>>> Getting regional mirror...
>>>> Using mirror: ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/mirror
>>>> Fetching jail environment. This may take a while...
>>>> Downloading ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/mirror/9.1/a...sd-release.txz ...
>>>> Creating ZFS /usr/jails/.warden-chroot-amd64 dataset...
>>>> ERROR: Failed extracting ZFS chroot environment
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Testing mailing list
>>>> Testing at lists.pcbsd.org
>>>> http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo/testing
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> How is your disk layout setup? Can you post output of "mount" and "zfs list" commands?
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Kris Moore
>>>> PC-BSD Software
>>>> iXsystems
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Testing mailing list
>>> Testing at lists.pcbsd.org
>>> http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo/testing
>>
>> I replied a while back with this:
>>
>> How is your disk layout setup? Can you post output of "mount" and "zfs
>> list" commands? Also what version of PC-BSD are you on? Rolling release,
>> or the older 9.1?
>>
>>
>> --
>> Kris Moore
>> PC-BSD Software
>> iXsystems
>>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Testing mailing list
> Testing at lists.pcbsd.org
> http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo/testing
>


More information about the Testing mailing list