[PC-BSD Testing] Very nice artwork on the new 9.1 and coming 9.2 CDN rolling release; Thanks for that and more

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Jul 31 07:17:40 PDT 2013

On 07/31/2013 04:22, Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:

> So I still don't know how to find out what exact revision/branch my
> PCBSD is now at after random updates over the last 5 months. How can I
> find out? can we have an "about this pcbsd" entry soemwhere that
> reporst patch levels etc? and is it true I need to totally reinstall
> for 9.2?
>

> I also would like to know how to find out, what patch level you are
> at... honestly it would be GREAT to have this available from the
> command line... something that can be scripted...
>
> This rolling release thing is a GREAT idea... but at the same time we
> are NOT linux, so we need to have some sort of an idea where in time
> we stand, with whatever system we have running...
>
> So as I understand it, for the most part PC-BSD is just a superset of
> FreeBSD... so somehow we need to know 2 things...
>
> so we have a svn tag for FreeBSD, this tells us where in time we are
> at in relation to FreeBSD's svn tree...
> now PC-BSD uses git... we now need a way to find out where we sit in
> relation to PC-BSD's git tree...
>
> in theory these revision #'s should be easy to store someplace...
>
> and am I thinking correctly here? the long term vision is... PC-BSD is
> a port in the FreeBSD ports tree... so..
>
> You can install plain vanilla FreeBSD, then from a plain jane install:
>
> portsnap fetch extract && cd /usr/ports/PC-BSD && make install && reboot
>
> then bam you have a PC-BSD system with xorg, kde4 the wifi manager,
> the warden, the appcafe the whole works...
> can this happen in the future?
>

> Sam Fourman Jr.

"uname -a" or the About GUI will show you the patch level.

You can then check it against this:

http://fbsd-update.pcbsd.org/

As for making PC-BSD just a port in FreeBSD, I'm not sure how that can
happen right now. We need some specific stuff during installation, and
FreeBSD's installer just doesn't do those things. So you'll end up with
some system which a number of the utilities just don't work. If you want
to do this anyway, you can already do so following the instructions here:

http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Turn_FreeBSD_into_PC-BSD%C2%AE