[PC-BSD Testing] can't boot after updates

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Jul 31 06:24:54 PDT 2013

On 07/31/2013 06:56, Lars Engels wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 01:15:25PM +0300, Mike Barnard wrote:
>> On 31 July 2013 11:47, Mike Barnard <mike.barnardq at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> I updated my pcbsd this morning, GMT+3, and rebooted.
>>>
>>> I cannot seem to get past single user mode, it ends up complaining
>>> about not being able to find /bin/sh.
>>

>> It turns out that more than just sh is missing. A quick check shows that
>> these files are missing from the /bin directory
>>
>> chio
>> cmp
>> cp
>> csh
>> cut
>> df
>> du
>> ed
>> ls
>> pax
>> ps
>> rcp
>> red
>> rmail
>> sh
>> sleep
>> tcsh
>>
>> I restored these by booting from the installation media, Choose
option 5 to
>> boot into Emergency Console. After it brings the PCBSD Utility screen ->
>> Utilities -> Shell
>>
>> I plugged in my portable disk and mounted it on /mnt and copied the files
>> in /bin over to my portable disk. I rebooted my PCBSD installation, chose
>> single usermode, entered /usr/local/bin/bash for my shell (since sh
was not
>> possible)
>>
>> I remounted / as read write (mount -o rw tank0/ROOT/default /) and first
>> moved cp over to /bin, then used cp -i to not overwrite existing files.
>>
>> At least I can now log into my PC. Will attempt this update again and
post
>> if anything goes wrong.
>>
>> PS: While booting, I get a screen that shows me
>>
>> geom_journal.ko missing
>> geom_mirror.ko missing
>> geom_eli.ko missing
>
> In such cases it's very good to know that there are statically compiled
> binaries of the most useful programs to rescue a system in /rescue.
> For example there's /rescue/sh, /rescue/zfs, /rescue/zpool,
> /rescue/kldload, etc...

Thanks for the report! I'm checking into this now. Did you run into this
on the desktop or server install? I.E. did you update through the GUI?

At first glance it looks like its an issue with multiple freebsd-update
commands running at the same time, cause some sort of conflict with the
data to be installed. I'm going to address this shortly.

- --