[PC-BSD Testing] can't boot after updates

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 03:15:25 PDT 2013

On 31 July 2013 11:47, Mike Barnard <mike.barnardq at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi,
>
> I updated my pcbsd this morning, GMT+3, and rebooted.
>
> I cannot seem to get past single user mode, it ends up complaining
> about not being able to find /bin/sh.

It turns out that more than just sh is missing. A quick check shows that
these files are missing from the /bin directory

chio
cmp
cp
csh
cut
df
du
ed
ls
pax
ps
rcp
red
rmail
sh
sleep
tcsh

I restored these by booting from the installation media, Choose option 5 to
boot into Emergency Console. After it brings the PCBSD Utility screen ->
Utilities -> Shell

I plugged in my portable disk and mounted it on /mnt and copied the files
in /bin over to my portable disk. I rebooted my PCBSD installation, chose
single usermode, entered /usr/local/bin/bash for my shell (since sh was not
possible)

I remounted / as read write (mount -o rw tank0/ROOT/default /) and first
moved cp over to /bin, then used cp -i to not overwrite existing files.

At least I can now log into my PC. Will attempt this update again and post
if anything goes wrong.

PS: While booting, I get a screen that shows me

geom_journal.ko missing
geom_mirror.ko missing
geom_eli.ko missing