[PC-BSD Testing] can't boot after updates

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 02:06:17 PDT 2013

Hi Hans,
sorry for top posting, I have been reduced to my old phone to get to
the internet.

any recovery procedures? I would hate to have to reinstall :-(

since its zfs, I can't seem to get a way to mount the partitions in
the emergency shell.

On 31/07/2013, Hans Ruhe <hansruhe1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> I got the same after the safety updates on the new 9.2 stable, but it seems
> that you found out more :-) It is a bit of a pity that it happened but I
> hope that Kris can fix that.
>
> Best regards,
> Hans
>

> 2013/7/31 Mike Barnard <mike.barnardq at gmail.com>
>
>> hi,
>>
>> I updated my pcbsd this morning, GMT+3, and rebooted.
>>
>> I cannot seem to get past single user mode, it ends up complaining
>> about not being able to find /bin/sh.
>>
>> all boot attempts die with
>>
>> init: can't exec /bin/sh for /etc/rc: no such file or directory.
>> enter full pathname of shell or return for /bin/sh:
>>
>> when I press enter I get
>>
>> init: can't exec /bin/sh for single user: no such file or directory
>> (repeated twice)
>>
>> and takes me back to enter full pathname.....
>>
>> when I enter the path for bash, I get in. I checked for sh and indeed,
>> its not there. I cannot even mount a disk from which I can copy over
>> the sh file.
>>
>> any ideas on how to progress forward on this.
>>
>> ps: it dumps an error about geom and zfs while it boots up, I'll need
>> to get a hot of that too and send it through.
>>
>> --
>> Mike
>>
>> Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in
>> million chances happen 99% of the time.

Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in a
million chances happen 99% of the time.