[PC-BSD Testing] can't boot after updates

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 01:47:02 PDT 2013

hi,

I updated my pcbsd this morning, GMT+3, and rebooted.

I cannot seem to get past single user mode, it ends up complaining
about not being able to find /bin/sh.

all boot attempts die with

init: can't exec /bin/sh for /etc/rc: no such file or directory.
enter full pathname of shell or return for /bin/sh:

when I press enter I get

init: can't exec /bin/sh for single user: no such file or directory
(repeated twice)

and takes me back to enter full pathname.....

when I enter the path for bash, I get in. I checked for sh and indeed,
its not there. I cannot even mount a disk from which I can copy over
the sh file.

any ideas on how to progress forward on this.

ps: it dumps an error about geom and zfs while it boots up, I'll need
to get a hot of that too and send it through.

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in a
million chances happen 99% of the time.