[PC-BSD Testing] Rolling-Release and 9.2-BETA1 announcement!

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 08:19:37 PDT 2013

Here is my version:
[wash at jaribu ~]$ uname -a
FreeBSD jaribu.kictanet.or.ke 9.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE #2: Tue Nov
27 03:45:16 UTC 2012
root at darkstar:/usr/obj/pcbsd-build90/fbsd-source/9.1/sys/GENERIC
 amd64

Is there a way to UPDATE this to a rolling release? Without re-installation?

On 23 July 2013 19:04, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:

> The PC-BSD team is pleased to announce that new images for PC-BSD 9.1-RELEASE (Isotope Infusion) and PC-BSD 9-STABLE (Based upon FreeBSD 9.2-BETA1) are now
> available! These releases are among the first in our new "Rolling-Release" model, and will allow you to easily keep your system updated with bi-monthly package set updates along side your regular PBI updates. In addition the images now include support for creating and booting from ZFS boot-environments. Due to the nature of implementing ZFS boot-environments, users on previous installs of 9.1-RELEASE will need to perform a re-installation in order to take advantage of these ZFS features. With the upcoming release of 9.2, currently in BETA, existing users may opt to wait for its release in order to migrate to the newer version. Many additional new features are also listed in the notes below.
>

> Download it now
>
> DVD and USB images are now available for download at the location below:
> http://www.pcbsd.org/en/download.html
>

> Highlights for 9.1-RELEASE
>
> * FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE
>
> * Bootable ZFS Boot Environments
>    - Using GRUB2, any new ZFS boot-environments created via the "beadm" command will be added to the boot-loader and available at boot-time
>
> * PNGNG support
>    - In addition to PBIs and the AppCafe, system admins and power users will now have access to a full PKGNG repository with frequent updates
>
> * Switched over to CDN for downloads
>    - No more having to hunt for a closest mirror, downloads will automatically pull from our CDN service hosted by ScaleEngine
>
> * New version of AppCafe
>    - New streamlining and PBI management functionality
>
> * GitHub Migration
>    - All PC-BSD / TrueOS sources are now available via GitHub (https://github.org/pcbsd and https://github.org/trueos)
>
> * Warden Updates
>    - Support for setting various jail options via the GUI
>    - Option to create jail "templates" based upon different versions of FreeBSD
>    - Support for VIMAGE jails
>    - Jails without any IPV4 or IPV6 address assigned
>
> * Graphical PKGNG manager
>    - GUI supports basic or advanced mode, which allows full package management / upgrades
>
> * Home directory encryption
>    - PEFS based encryption, allows users to encrypt their home-directory contents with their login password, which is only unencrypted while logged in
>
> * Boot times improved substantially
>

> Highlights for 9-STABLE
>
> * FreeBSD/TrueOS 9-STABLE (Running 9.2-BETA1)
>
> * Binary "freebsd-update" server implemented for -STABLE, allowing monthly updates to a newer -STABLE release without re-compiling
>
> * All the features listed for 9.1-RELEASE above also apply to 9-STABLE
>

> Get Involved

> [...]

Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
Nairobi,KE
+254733744121/+254722743223
"I can't hear you -- I'm using the scrambler."