[PC-BSD Testing] Switching to a new CDN for Rolling Release + PBIs

Curt Dox tigersharke at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 15:32:06 PDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:

> Everybody,
>
> We are finally moving over to a CDN service for our network backbone.
> This will quickly replace the existing system of mirrors we have been
> using for the past many years. This means you will no longer have to
> pick a mirror close to your geographical location to get decent speeds,
> or have failed updates because the mirrors you selected is out of date
> or offline.
>

> For 9.1 Legacy Users:
>
> To make the switch, check your system updater GUI within PC-BSD and
> install / apply the CDN patch. (TrueOS users can run the command:
> "pc-updatemanager check") This will automatically switch your system
> updates, packages and PBI services over to using the new CDN.
>

> For Rolling Release Users:
>
> To make the switch check your system updater GUI and apply the CDN
> patch. Due to some recent breakage in PKGNG, you may need to manually do
> your first set of package updates for all your services to switch over.
> Run these commands:
>
> # pkg upgrade
> (This should upgrade you to pkg-1.1.3_1 or later)
>
> # pkg upgrade
> (This will now upgrade your system packages to the latest set which has
> CDN support)
>

> If you run into any problems, please let us know. We would particularly
> like feedback on speeds and availability so we can let our CDN provider
> know.
>
> --
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
> iXsystems

Hello.

This worked fine for me on a system that was v9.0 updated to v9.1 (non-RR)
PC-BSD.

On another box that may be more FreeBSD than PC-BSD, the updater is
convinced that everything is up to date.  I tried via gui and commandline,
and failing those was going to obtain the txz file to force it to update
locally. Since it seems to be erased after the update succeeds (would have
copied it from one box to the other) and I cannot discover the place to
download it from, I'm stuck.

Where exactly would I download the txz file, assuming that I cannot
convince the updater otherwise?